Saturday, June 27, 2009

Catching up

Hi Friends!!!



We have been living in our new 2bed/1bath apartment/townhouse for three weeks now. It's wonderful! We live on the second floor.



It even came with some furniture: kitchen table and chairs, bookshelve, end tables, washer and dryer (PTL! no more $2.50 loads!), TV and small sort of entertainment center, and the best part - a futon couch! So you guessed it! We took the mattress off the frame and have been sleeping on it as our bed! It's real comfy. Why on the floor? well...sometime I'll get you a picture of the frame - it's really big and heavy and we were too lazy and tired to move it out of the spare bedroom, down the hall, and into our bedroom...and still haven't bothered to. We kind of like our furniture on the floor anyway - as you all know :)

I'll be honest...we haven't been the best house keepers lately so I don't have any "postable" pictures of the inside yet. check out the papaya tree next to our fence.



Um...where to start? Jobs are going well...oh! Mason has a job! That's news. He's working for a parasailing company. Cool hugh? I knew he'd get the cooler job - he always does. This is a picture of the dock he works at.



He sees all kinds of crazy things there at the docks. They brought in an 800lb marlin this week! I couldn't believe it! He has a whole story about it on another blog he started. check it out: davisoutdoors.blogspot.com (by the way - ALL of the pics on his blog and some on this one were taken from our cell phones! impressive)



We went on a hike with my friend Jennifer - who is the gal I spent two summers with before when I worked at a church here in Hawaii. This is the place you can see one of the other islands from, Molokai. But it was a cloudy day so we couldn't see it. shucks...but we'll be there again because you can also see whales from here during whale season!



I just can't get enough of the views out here. This picture below is the view from the top of our little hiking trail. The piece of land that is way out there is the Marine base, the the larger island on the right is called Rabbit island. For two years I could not figure out where the rabbit is, and I finally saw it! It's just his head...but this picture isn't a very good one of it. (I put the pictures together - Mason was real impressed)



Here's some more photos...





cactus in Hawaii???

I could watch these waves hitting the rocks all day.



One of our favorite spots so far is the North Shore. Of course right? well...Mason had been craving to go snorkeling since bought our plane tickets. The best place to go here is also a BIG tourist attraction - and it should be right? - so we opted on a spot on the North Shore called "shark's cove." Don't worry it's named after a rock not the sealife. We loved it! We saw sooo many fish and even a SEA TURTLE!!!! So cool.



Now...we saw most of these fish all in one afternoon. But they weren't quite all hanging out together around the sea turtle like this photo shows. They kind of keep to their own kind. Some group together in schools, but most of them were in pairs. Oh and the special fish next to the turtle's left front arm?/fin? is the Hawaii state fish. It's a type of trigger fish. Anyone know its name? humuhumunukunukuapuaa. I think they voted for it just because of the name. We just call it the humuhumu. Cool hugh?



After we went snorkeling we stopped for some shave ice. They put ice cream on the bottom here - Delicious!



Mason has a favorite flower :)
It's the plumeria. THEY GROW ON TREES!!! This one is extra special because of the patterns on the back. We worked together to take this picture for you guys!



There are also yellow plumerias and hot pink ones too. They hibiscus comes in yellow, red, hot pink, light pink, white and then the peach one I put on the first post. Notice how different that one is from these?



We've met the BCM director and his family and several of their staff. This is the directors family pet. It's a tortoise friends...I was sharply corrected when I called it a turtle! Woah let's be specific! I thought it was cute they had him in a sand box :)



Anyone heard of Punchbowl National Cemetary? It's a cemetary in the middle of a crater pit right in Honolulu! Beautiful place. The cemetaries in general here are very well kept and of course the flowers on the headstones last for weeks. The picture of my car in the first post was taken at Punchbowl. This is a view from the top.



This is the view I had when I turned around. See the container ship coming in???



And this is the view I had when I turned to my left :)



Last but not least....the Jeep. It's also white!

2 comments:

Linda G said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing with us your daily adventures! Seems like you are adjusting to the island life...quite different than living in the desert of New Mexico. Love ya, Maw.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!! I didn't know that you had a blog! I loved these pictures but not as much as Andrew. He thought the ships were awesome!

So glad to catch up with you here and glad that you are doing well.

tyra